Sunday, October 3, 2010

She made it!!!! umm, now what?

Most on f@cebook know that Paige has been playing basketball A LOT and has been dancing A LOT, but I have yet to share it on my blog. I know, I know (head hanging low in shame) the blog has taken a beating due to FaceCrack :)

If you have followed my blog for any time at all, you know that dance is a HUGE part of Paige's life. She dances five, yes five, days a week. It is truly remarkable to me that the child is able to function, let alone have a social life and still maintain an all A average at school.

Well, we have known since she was old enough to hold a ball that she was our "tomboy princess". She LOVES, HEARTS, CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF basketball! That would have been music to my Coach of a dad's ears. She has played little church leagues and such, but now that she is a middle schooler, the "game" so to speak, has changed.

Consecutively, while dancing nightly, every Mon. and Wed. after school, she has been attending her school's "open gym". Open gym is a couple of months of conditioning, scrimmages, conditioning, shooting, did I mention conditioning??? for the coach. Sixth graders are not allowed to actually "make" the team, but lo and behold, this year they have a sixth grade team. They also have the ability to make manager (yes, managers have to try out to give water to the ELITE bball members, upperclasswomen :). Well, Paige made the cut!!!!! We are ELATED! She made the sixth grade team and will find out in the next couple of weeks if she made manager. She is OVER.THE.MOON!

Next,

She is a dancer. Elegant, graceful, full of poise, shakin' her groove thang, ...you get the picture. Well, try outs for the elite competition team were last weekend. She was on the Mini competition team last year. This year, for the fun of it, and just because she thought she wouldn't make it, she tried out for the next level up...the JUNIORS. Well, hot dog, if the child didn't make it! We were all stunned, including Paige. Not that we don't believe in her talent, because we certainly do, but we thought that level would be a couple of years away.

So, besides being tickled about her accomplishments, we have a problem...

Both her sixth grade bball team and dance team require Saturday morning commitments.

WHAT TO DO?????

We sat Paige down and told her that it looks like she will have to make a decision...bball or dance. She literally fell apart. She loves them both so much and for different reasons.

She told us to make the decision. We told her to make the decision. So, of course, no decision has been made.

My heart is telling me to let her play basketball and see what that might hold for her. She smiles more when she is playing than I ever see her smile in real life (and the kid smiles a lot).

Sometimes when she comes out of dance, she feels defeated and let down. She LOVES her friendships with her "dance sisters" and I think that is what she would miss the most.

We are going to talk to both coaches and see if there is any way at all that she can still do both. If the coaches agree, then it looks like Sat. dance will have to be missed for a couple of months and she will have to take privates during the week. If it isn't an option, well, you'll know! :)

I love that at this age, she is so passionate about so much. When I was a kid, I was twirling my baton and riding my bike and picking on my little brother and being bored. So much has changed in such a short time. I am sad that kids can't do it all, as so many of these activities require year round commitments. I mean, seriously, do I think Paige will end up in the WNBA, NO. Do I think she will be dancing on Broadway one day, No. She doesn't either. Why do these activities require so much time and commitment? Why can't they be for recreation???

Venting here, off my soapbox. It's a beautiful fall day in TN. and I am going to introduce my camera to a cute little girl named Paige. They are long lost friends who need to become acquainted again! :) Hopefully, i'll have some new pics of my ballet baller soon :)

8 comments:

Julia said...

Missy, first Congratulations (!!!) to Paige on making both bball and dance team! Then of course there's the let down of trying to do both and not being able to. Oh, if there were only 20 more hours in the day. Libi had to make a similar decision for this fall - XC or soccer - and just because she's done soccer since birth (jk), she (and I) decided it was time to try something new. It's not like she was going to lose all her skills in just a few months, and xc was something she could do with her school. Low and behold it was the best decision we could have made. She still plays with the idea of going back to soccer, but it's not all our life is made up of anymore, and I'm really happy about that. Good luck with your decision - I think you should make it as a family, and I bet you'll choose the right one for all of you too.

Mireille said...

OMG you must be so proud of her determination, enthusiasm and passion for both of these sports!! She is such a trooper! I love the fact that she like a girly sport and a more tomboy sport, she has so many sides! She is a very special girl!! And I am sure you will figure out a way to work it out!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I'm with you - I totally miss the days when after-school activities did not take over our lives. Why does everything have an all-or-nothing commitment? I so hope Paige is able to do both.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I'm amazed at how much of a commitment activities require for kids these days. It scares me at times. Glad I'm not the only one feeling a little awed by it all!

Colleen said...

My goodness Paige is one talented little girl! You and your mom must beam with pride every day. I hope her decision on what to choose isn't too painful. Either way, she is going to have fun!

3 Peanuts said...

Congratulations to Paige...she is obviously well rounded and very talented!!!!!

I agree with you about the level of commitment these activities take. In Houston, you cannot even do gymnastics for recreation once you are 6. It is either a HUGE commitment to a competition team or nothing at all. We have struggled with Harry doing Judo (which is year round) and soccer or baseball too. I feel that they need to try different things, experience the "team" thing and various coaches, use different muscle groups etc. But our society seems to want to push kids to specialize too early.


Let us know what you figure out. And I hope that other R situation has been rectified too.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

CONGRATS TO PAIGE!!! YAHOOOO girly!! Great news. I hope that they will work with her and allow her to do both if that is what she desires. Keep us posted:)

xoxo,

Lisa

Sharon said...

Congrats to Paige! I hope it works out she can do both. I'm the worst at decisions!