Thursday, December 9, 2010

A simpler life

I have done a lot of reprioritizing and looking inward. I have decided to scale back on so many aspects of my life that were draining me and so time consuming. Some examples: I went from 800 to a little over 200 friends on FB. That has made SO much difference with the amount of time I spend on this silly computer. I was finding myself so intrigued with what families were eating for dinner, clothes little ones were getting, hearing tidbits of people's lives, etc... Yet, I was glued to the computer at night instead of living my life.

I usually send out over 100 Christmas cards. This year, I only ordered 40. I thought about the most important people in our lives and they are the recipients of our Christmas cards this year.

Paige has five packages under the tree, albeit expensive (realllly expensive gifts), but I don't feel the need to go and buy lots of fillers just so she can feel like she received a lot. That is not the reason for the season anyway.

We are spending time going to activities with close family friends rather than spreading ourselves thin and trying to attend every.single. party we get invited to during the holidays!

I am really feeling waaaayyy less stressed~! I think I can get used to this. NO, I know I can get used to this!

12 comments:

Gail said...

Simpler is much better in my opinion, Missy. I think it helps us to focus on what is really important to us at this time of the year in general. Which is family, good friends, and the real reason for Christmas, which is the birth of Christ.

Have a wonderful holiday with your family!

hugs,

Gail

The Red Thread Connection said...

well I am glad that you cut back and are taking care of yourself. =( that I did not make the cut on FB lol

Lindy D. said...

You're such a friendly person, I'm sure it's hard to cut back. I'm glad that you were able to find a way to prioritize. Happy Holidays, Missy!

(I love your name... My real name is Melinda, but I have a favorite uncle who has always called me "Missy.")

Mireille said...

Enjoy the simple life :-)

Sharon said...

It sounds like you have it all figured out. Enjoy!

LaLa said...

Good for you!!! I hope you have a wonderful stress free season : )

rgshrs said...

Good for you Missy! I hope that you enjoy your more relaxed holiday season. I'm sure we could all take a lesson there;)

3 Peanuts said...

Very smart, Missy. I too have simplified some things (like the Christmas gifts) but not others (like my card list) bit I plan to simplify MUCH more!!! I don't even really go on FB because it cam be such a time suck.

Have a blessed Christmas!!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I think we can all learn from this post..... Simplify is something that I NEED TO DO, but struggle with on a daily basis. We all tend to get wrapped up in this holiday and forget what it is really all about...and that is so very sad.

Miss ya and hope to catch up soon!!

Happy Holidays~

xoxo,

Lisa

Green Family said...

I love simple Missy. George was laid off...and I actually started laughing. He's going to retire a bit and do online teaching...but will be at home and no longer in the wacked out world of AZ mental health. Funds are tight temporarily...but it's so worth it...and we're loving playing Jenga, reading...and keeping it SIMPLE.
Lots of love to you and your family this holiday :)
Kelly

Jennifer said...

Blogs need a like button :) Merry Christmas!

Alyson and Ford said...

Yes, simpler is better. We are doing things differently than when we raised our older kids. AA will have a better, grounded upbringing. Has to be better the second time around - we should be wiser. Thanks for the confirmation.
Merry Christmas!

Alyzabeth's Mommy